Gameplay first impressions?
General forum to discuss Chronopia.
Johan

Gameplay first impressions?

Post by Johan »

So did someone had the chance to play games with the demo rules? Any impressions? What are the best things of this new ruleset?
Coki

Re: Gameplay first impressions?

Post by Coki »

Hello :)

See below: https://www.chronopia.world/game/gameplay/

Greetings,

Coki
volrath

Post by volrath »

You can download the rules in pdf and try it out with miniatures you own.
That's what I did :D
I serve the One King!
Kain

Post by Kain »

Going to be teaching some people the new hero skirmish rules from the demo box soon. So will report back how we get on.

On first reading them I'm really liking the direction and mechanics. The Command points and the things you can do with them give you plenty of options and make a nice change from just going on wait to say countercharge. It seems to let you influence the %s but look to be nuanced enough to make mastering them rewarding.

I also like that charge bonuses differ per unit. So lotus guard getting first strike as opossed to Cursed getting to hit like a truck. (Although Archers getting +2 on the charge didn't seem right as the spearmen also had +2, maybe they should be weaker in the charge given their unit type??)

I really also liked the stacking of statuses such as dazed and panic which can just wipe a unit out if they fail a morale check.

It will also be good to see in bigger games how line breaker for example will be useful. Possible edging towards objects, or getting ready to cut through a unit and then in to some softer targets in the enemy deployment zone.
Johan

Post by Johan »

Many thanks. Did you had the opportunity to use cavalry? Rules seem to give to this kind of unit great hitting power.
Kain

Post by Kain »

Played a fair few games now and Cavalry really do have their uses, but need to be used carefully as its easy for them to get swamped. They cost about twice as much as infantry but on the charge can cause serious trouble and dazing a unit for -4 CC for one turn and -2 CC for a second turn hurts. Just watch out for archers picking them off or well positioned spears as bracing against them takes away all their bonuses. But taking out units with less models in or sweeping around to claim objective is great.